Thursday, February 14, 2008

feel the love





In honor of Valentine’s Day, I made my boys a special breakfast. (Remember the waffle story? I got a heart shaped waffle maker for my very next birthday. Because Llama Papa is quick that way.)

And now you’re reading this thinking, “Wow! She’s got three little kids and she’s making her family healthy, homemade waffles on a Thursday morning! What on earth is wrong with me? I only have two kids and they had to get their own cold cereal this morning. Why, that Llama Woman must be waaaay more organized than I am.”

Yeah. I’ve read the Mom blogs and had similar thoughts. So, in the interest of full disclosure, I am bravely posting a picture of my messy kitchen. This is the trade off, friends. Healthy, homemade waffles? Yes.

In the middle of a great big mess.

















So on that note, happy Valentine’s Day! And, if you’re interested, here’s my favorite waffle recipe. (I know they sound very grainy, but I’m telling you, your kids will never know. They are fantastic!)

Multi-Grain Waffles

Makes 8 servings

Ingredients

2 C buttermilk
½ C old-fashioned rolled oats
2/3 C whole-wheat flour
2/3 C all-purpose flour
¼ C toasted wheat germ or cornmeal
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
¼ C packed brown sugar
1 T canola oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Instructions

1. Mix buttermilk and oats in a medium bowl; let stand for 15 minutes.
2. Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, wheat germ (or cornmeal), baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
3. Stir eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla into the oat mixture. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; mix with a rubber spatula just until moistened.
4. Coat a waffle iron with cooking spray and preheat. Spoon in enough batter to cover three-fourths of the surface (about 2/3 cup for an 8-by-8-inch waffle iron). Cook until waffles are crisp and golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 188 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrate; 8 g protein; 3 g fiber; 328 mg sodium.
Nutrition bonus: 144 mg calcium (14% dv).

15 comments:

FrazzMom said...

Way to go Llama Mamma- I don't even know what my kids ate for breakfast today (in my defense- two of them are teenagers!)

I did manage to secretly slip a card and some chocolates into each of their backpacks- so even if they missed breakfast they won't starve!

Craver Vii said...

A shopping cart in the kitchen? How big or far is your pantry?!

Heart waffles. What a fun idea.

Llama Momma said...

Thanks, Frazzmom.

You don't know what your kids ate for breakfast? THAT, my friend, is a beautiful thing. :-)

Llama Momma said...

Craver -- baby b. loves to hang out in the kitchen with me...and shop. And make messes. :-)

Mandy said...

Aww, I know they enjoyed that so much! They look delicious!

Johanna said...

That recipe looks delicious. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing. :)

Llama Momma said...

You won't be disappointed, Johanna. :-)

You guys are so polite! Nobody even so much as mentioned my messy kitchen!

Anonymous said...

Next time you take a picture of my kitchen, please warn me before you post it!

I'm looking forward to trying the recipe - thanks for sharing.

And I love this example of when it's better to focus building our relationships with our kids than working, going, cleaning, going . . .

Llama Momma said...

SP -- It's a juggling act every single day.

Lisa said...

That picture could be of my own kitchen, on a good day!
good job for keeping it real...It is so easy to feel like everyone is perfect out there in the blog world!

Anonymous said...

This photo made my day. And I don't mean the one of the waffles (though they are quite lovely :) )

Anonymous said...

I love this post. I don't think there's a mom alive who wouldn't be able to claim a kitchen like that at some point when they had small children. Good for you for putting the emphasis in the right place.

Sandra

Llama Momma said...

Erika -- you were on my mind when I posted the kitchen picture. You and a few other Moms with very little ones. We put so much pressure on ourselves, don't we? But honestly, it's impossible to do it all on any given day. A friend recently told me that sometimes I sound like I have it all together on my blog, so I'm really trying to keep it real. Because I do not have it all together. Not even close. :-)

MamaToo said...

This recipe IS amazing, and I especially love the cinnamon smell while they're cooking.
Heart-shaped breakfast? Love it. Your kiddos will likely never count the loads of dishes you washed or times you scrubbed the floor, but that pink plate will be a sweet memory.

...and thanks for the much-needed photo of reality.

Anonymous said...

can't wait to try this recipe! am so enjoying your blog - it is an inspiration because it *is* real!