Monday, February 4, 2008

an invitation

“What brings you here?” Ruth asks. And so I spend the next hour talking about my life, my restlessness of soul, my deep hunger for God, my fears, my busyness.

“I don’t know where to begin with God,” I confess.

She smiles. We sit quietly for a time, and then she opens her Bible and reads,  
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light" (Matthew 11:28-30).

She smiles again. “What would it look like for you to accept God’s invitation to rest today? To trust Him with all of the things we’ve talked about, and just lie down and take a nap?”

"A nap?" I think. "That doesn’t sound very spiritual." Later, I walk over to the cafeteria, and take a bowl of lentil soup. Homemade. As I sit with my soup and salad, I marvel at this gift of food that someone else has prepared. I want to go into the kitchen and hug the women who made it. "When is the last time I sat through an entire meal?" I wonder to myself.

After lunch, I go to my room to complete my only assignment of the day: rest.

It’s harder than I expect it to be. I open my journal and make a list of all of my distractions and concerns. It’s two pages long.

And I find myself back in this familiar place with God: do I trust Him? Can I stop and simply be for an afternoon? Can that really be enough?

I read the verses in Matthew again and thank God for His invitation. The truth is, I am tired.

And so I begin this first afternoon of my journey into solitude and silence with a long nap.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Isn't it so wonderful how focused on the important things that we get during those times alone. What a treat. Beautiful post.

elaine@bloginmyeye said...

I remember that bewildering feeling of once realizing that God didn't need or want me to do anything for him -- but simply wanted me to rest in His love. No, really, rest. No really...I finally got it. I think.

Anonymous said...

:-)
good message

23 degrees said...

I think it's easy to forget how much moms do and what miracles they are. Moms of twins—even more so!

Glad for your time of rest, of re-creation.

Can't wait to hear more...

Anonymous said...

Your recap has been amazing. It make me want to do this retreat one day! I'm so anxious to see how God uses this in your life.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Now that's the one thing I'd like to do every day around 12:30 or 1:00 pm, that is, take a nap.

But I can't imagine how you mothers can all the sudden change course, after having your hands full with little ones, and this and that in the course of each day.

Interesting. Lentil soup, uh.