Friday, February 8, 2008

Because I'm clever that way





















The noisy boys love crafts. Love them. Save bits of garbage for a few weeks (milk bottle caps, paper towel tubes, OJ lids), give them to my boys, and watch their eyes light up. Seriously.

Last night was Open House at the boys’ school. We visited each of their classrooms, took a picture with their teachers, and saw more of what they’re doing in class. One of the projects they were most proud of were these marshmallow sculptures made out of miniature marshmallows and toothpicks.

“Hey! I could do that!” I thought, always looking for a constructive way to keep the noisy boys occupied that doesn’t involve the computer, wii, or television.

So this morning they set to work on their marshmallow structures. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Never mind the eighteen month old who roams the house all day long looking for things to eat or destroy.

Right. Next time, we’ll save this craft for naptime.

And as a side note, people ask all the time, “Are the twins different from eachother?” Um. Yes. Take a look at the two structures for a visual illustration of their differences. Twin A.’s is on the right, Twin B.’s is on the left. For the record, Twin A.’s sculpture had another set of cubes attached on the side before baby b. got a hold of it.

9 comments:

The Queen of Sci Fi said...

Best blog post title EVER!

Llama Momma said...

maria -- and to think I almost changed it. "Will anyone get the humor in it?" I wondered.

It doesn't surprise me that you did. We have more in common that what is just at the surface, I think. :-)

L.L. Barkat said...

I love the things children create. Such ingenuity. (If a little sticky.)

Marmot Mom said...

Twin B is gonna be an artist---mark my words!!! I like the way that boy thinks--reminds me of a younger, less stressed me...

TJ Wilson said...

I'm with Maria - same thought exactly. And thanks for the great idea...

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain! It's hard to get everyone age-appropriate stuff to do that challanges the older and doesn't permanently injure the younger. Great post.

Llama Momma said...

LL -- Me too! Their creativity has no limits and no rules. I would do well to sit and create with them more.

Marmot Mom -- In fact, Twin B. plans to be an artist. And a soup maker. And, if time allows, a firefighter.

TJ -- It really is a fun craft. Toothpicks and marshmallows...even better if you don't have a toddler roaming the house!

Jenny -- I've never had to juggle the different stages before. A tricky balance, to be sure!!

chrissy said...

How fun, what a cool idea! Minus the eighteen month old, although it sounds as though even the baby was busy!! Ok ok not in the way you wanted! amazing structures and great post tooo funny!! Loved the title!

Christine @ Serenity How? said...

That's a great idea. Maybe we'll try it with some pretzel sticks so they're completely edible. Then the kids will have eaten from both the sugar group and the salt group. On second thought, maybe we won't LOL!