Friday, February 15, 2008

fugitive llama

I love getting my errands done early. After stopping off at the post office this morning, I ran to the gas station to gas up my minivan for our weekend trip to the Dells. I swiped my credit card, went to fill up, and realized that I hadn’t pulled forward enough to reach the gas tank. So I got back in my van, pulled forward, and then pumped the gas.

I gathered up trash while I waited, scooping up stale goldfish crackers and raisins from the floor of the van.

Then I put on the fuel cap and drove home.

Twenty minutes later, I was on the phone with a friend when another call came in. From the City. I almost didn’t answer it. “Probably the police department raising money again,” I thought.

“Is this Mrs. Llama?” the police officer on the other line asked me.
“Yes.”
“Do you drive a blue Caravan?”
“Um. Yes.”
“I’m at the Shell station. You drove away without paying.”

Oh. My.

I grabbed baby b. and headed back to the gas station. Apparently, when I pulled forward, it cancelled out the credit card. Apologizing profusely, I handed the guy my Disney Visa. Baby b. just smiled at the guy, who then apologized to me because I had to come back out in the cold.

I’m just glad I picked up the phone. Can’t you just see the headline now?

Fugitive, gas-stealing Llama on the loose! Rumor has it, she spends her days doing laundry and hanging around with a destructive, but smiley, toddler. If you have any information on this Llama (including pictures of her messy house) call Crime Stoppers today!

14 comments:

FrazzMom said...

Oh classic story- I LOVE it!

Have a great time away... Teenage Son has his road training w/drivers ed next week. Stay away from CA- stay far away!

Marmot Mom said...

Dear Llama On the Run,
Try not to commit any out-of-state crimes--that's where the FBI gets involved and they ship you off to the The Big House....uh, should I say, The Big Pen?...Have fun.

Christine @ Serenity How? said...

Oh my goodness! I'm surprised the pump allowed you to fill up.

It's a good thing the police called rather than coming to your home. Can't you just imagine what that would be like? :-)

Llama Momma said...

FrazzMom -- How can that be possible??? Driving? As in, vehicles?

Marmot Mom -- I'll do my best to stay out of trouble. :-)

Christine -- Me too!! I guess the gas guy authorized it because I didn't look like a shady character. Little did he know...

ChosenRebel said...

I would pay to read that headline!

Anonymous said...

Hilarious. Almost as funny as the time I drove away from the pump with the gas handle hanging out of my car . . . and got onto a divided road before I realized it. :)

My mother warned me about you llama-types.

Lara said...

Thank goodness for cute, smiling toddlers. Good thinking to take him along to cover for you. : )

Lisa said...

That is such a funny story, at least the police called instead of showing up at your door.

Unknown said...

That's too good. I guess things like this happen when there's a Llama on the loose!

I am sorry you had to go back out in the cold too...I hate getting gas when it's cold outside!

Patty Kyrlach said...

Wow. I'm so glad that story had a happy ending! Even if you had to make another trip out. The joys of life in the digital age. . . :~)

Sprittibee said...

You had a "heather moment". At least that's what my husband calls them. ;)

TJ Wilson said...

Funny stuff. Way to go with the messy kitchen pic.

Don Mills Diva said...

Love it - that's exactly something I would do!

Anonymous said...

Too funny. Glad you answered the phone...being a fugitive sounds like fun, but I bet it would get old.