Wednesday, February 27, 2008

perspective

The first snow in November is magical. In December, it’s festive. In January, it’s exciting and fun. But at the end of February? It’s a real drag.

For the record, I’m done with snow.

But it’s still fun and beautiful, isn’t it? It’s the same snow today that we had back in December when the sled hills were new and exciting, and the kids were clamoring to make snow forts.

This morning, baby b. managed to slip into his big brother’s Spiderman boots and he stood at the window jabbering excitedly, “KNOW! KNOW!” while I drank my coffee. He doesn't mind another snowy day. He's not counting the days until Spring. He's just happy to have today...this moment.

Oh, that I may have just a slice of his childlike wonder at the world. To accept what is with joy and not wish it away simply because I’m tired of it.

This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. (Psalm 118:24)


16 comments:

FrazzMom said...

It was about this time each year that my parents would start talking about moving to Guam... Spring could never come soon enough!

...BTW it's a beautiful, sunny, 70 degrees today- here in the Silicon Valley!

Lara said...

Baby b is soooo adorable! Thank goodness for our little ones to give us that needed perspective.

Yesterday I didn't mind the snow so much because it meant a good half-hour or so of outdoor play for the kids (fresh air-yeah!) and that amount of silence indoors for me!

Llama Momma said...

frazzmom -- um. shut. up. (And I mean that in the nicest possible way!)

AMM -- He is, isn't he? (Not that we're biased at all.)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful reminder. Thanks for sharing.

I was going to leave a tacky comment over at Craver's about the weather, but refrained . . . so I'll extend the same courtesy here :)

Llama Momma said...

SP -- well, as you can see, I'm so polite to all of the warm weather folks who visit. :-)

elaine@bloginmyeye said...

Amen, sister. At least the fresh snow covered up all the icky black snow. It was a beautiful snowfall. And, yea, a picture!

Mandy said...

Aww, definitely the sweetest thing I've read all day.

MamaToo said...

so funny to hear you're tired of the snow. I miss it - the true winter and all - and frequently complain about the rain forest we seem to inhabit! :) Thanks for the perspective and reminder to be grateful - you bless your fellow mamas!

Llama Momma said...

elaine --It is beautiful. I am trying to embrace these last days of winter and be content...a struggle for many of us in the midwest!!

Thank you, Mommy cracked. :-)

Mamatoo -- You bless me, sister. Thank you for stopping by.

L.L. Barkat said...

Ah yes. But is it done with you? :)

Llama Momma said...

LL -- apparently not! :-)

Anonymous said...

smile....perspective! :-)good one.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I have your prize for the haiku buckaroo contest. Let me know where you'd like it sent and I'll have it drop shipped right away.

Toni(at)thissimplelife(dot)net

Craver Vii said...

I hadn't visited your profile in such a long time. I just did and noticed your occupation... zoo keeper. Yes, Llama and her little monkeys. :-)

mommanator said...

my grandkids think snow is better than ice cream! they yell & cheer when just a flake falls! you have to get with there enthuasim. your little tyke- when I first glanced at the photo I thought he was a little man of God holdiing a cross!

Llama Momma said...

Craver -- It fits, doesn't it? When I filled out the profile, it was the first thing that popped into my mind. ;-)