Thursday, June 28, 2007

good times

What’s noisier than two five-year old boys? FOUR five-year old boys and a bucket of water balloons!

We invited a couple of preschool friends over for some backyard water fun earlier this week, and, well, had a lot of fun. Serious fun. The Amazing Spiderman Slip ‘n Slide was a big hit, and I managed to hold myself back this time around. (And, incidentally, I noticed the bold print on the front of the slide: CAUTION. Adults should not use this product. May cause serious spinal injury or death.)

The four boys took a play-break for a simple lunch at the picnic table, and I asked each child: “What’s been your favorite thing about summer break so far?” When I asked, I fully expected answers like, “Our trip to Disney World,” and “The Shedd Aquarium.” Both of our guest have been super busy—so busy I had to schedule this playdate a month out. But you know what they said? Without hesitation: “THIS!”

Just hanging out with their friends and a working hose, with hot dogs and fruit salad for lunch, was the highlight of their summer.

Do you have kids home this summer? Are you having fun? Fun doesn’t have to be complicated or expensive, especially for little ones. Just providing a place for them and their friends is often enough.

3 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

I am with you there.

And, seriously... this thing can cause death? My heavens, I didn't realize fun could be so perilous.

spaghettipie said...

I think that goes to the old observation that kids have more fun with the cardboard box the expensive gift came in than the gift itself.

And the other thing your example communicates to me? That we can plan all sorts of extravagant things to entertain our children, but what they find the most meaningful is doing things with us and having our attention. No trip to Disney World could substitute for experiencing the love of family and friends.

Llama Momma said...

SP -- Yes. Our children, just like us, crave relationships. Stuff and Activities are a poor substitute!

L.L. -- It only causes serious injury and death to adults. I think because we're bigger, and the whole idea of hurtling our big bodies to the ground to slide on a wet piece of plastic is just a bad one on every level.