Friday, December 1, 2006

You're reading what???

I’ve recently started a new Bible reading program. After my youngest son was born (about four months ago), I was looking for my Bible and couldn’t find it. Anywhere. Digging it out was the first step. Actually reading it was another thing entirely.

I’m a much better Christian when I don’t read my Bible. I’m a very kind person, a good mother, a good friend. Need a last minute sitter so you can run to the doctor? Call on me! I even catered a Christian event recently, just for fun. (No small task with three children under the age of five!) And all of that without ever opening my Bible.

Today, on the other hand, I’ve read Proverbs 1, Psalm 119, and the entire book of Colossians. And I feel terrible about myself. Because making chicken for forty people or babysitting a friend’s children does not make me a better Christian. The truth is, I don’t measure up. Not even close.

But it’s not about me. And that’s good news.

No comments: