Saturday, December 23, 2006

Who me? Crabby?

"It is better to live alone in the desert than with a crabby, complaining wife." Proverbs 21:19

Are there days when my huband longs for the desert? I fear it may be so. Especially these past few days. My husband is frequently away on business, which poses obvious challenges to our family--to stay close, even when daddy's on the road. But the lesser-known challenge is that of "re-entry." Let me explain.

While my dear husband is away, I'm home holding down the fort. I take care of our three children, our house, and whatever else needs taking care of. I pretty much run the show, and when things go wrong, I have only myself to blame. Enter dear husband. Suddenly, he's involved, which is what I want, but it's hard to give up control over everything. Do I WANT to feed the kids breakfast every day? Of course not. But do I get crabby when he makes french toast and uses every pan and bowl we own to do it? You bet I do. Because I'm a control freak. No, make that Control Freak. You would think the twins would have cured me, but I'm afraid the control monster still rears its ugly head every now and then. I am working on this. And I'm learning, oh so slowly, to trust God. To really trust, not just say I do.

Oh God, help me to be the best of who you created me to be, overflowing with grace and kindness for all who cross my path and enter my home. Attune my heart to the needs of those around me, especially those of my husband and children. Let me be slow to blame and quick to forgive. And on this Eve of Christmas Eve, may our home shine brightly with the love of Christ.

No comments: