Sunday, December 24, 2006

Some Pig

Yesterday I took the noisy boys to see Charolotte's Web. In a word? Magic. Kids or no, you have to see this movie. It's the best one I've seen all year, which says something--both about me and the movies I've seen this year! I love books, and usually movies don't even come close to capturing the brilliance of the written word. This one pulls it off. The themes of loyalty and friendship and sacrifice are poignantly played out in the beautiful friendships between Fern and Wilbur, and Wilbur and Charlotte. We laughed (thanks to some flatulant cows and a burping rat); we cried. (One of my boys reached for my hand at the end, and I began crying in earnest, not over the spider and the pig, but because my boys were both wiping their eyes. EMPATHY! EMOTION! Maybe I'm doing something right after all!)

Go see this movie. You won't be disappointed. And have a fabulous Christmas!

2 comments:

Craver Vii said...

Good for you, lm! You must fiercly guard your boys when they get misty-eyed. Careless jesting can have a terrible effect on impressionable, tender, little ones. To this day, I find it difficult to allow people see me cry.

I'm not a big blubberer, mind you. But if something profoundly moves me, I wish I could mitigate the distraction of knowing that someone sees a tear on my face. Instead, the gaze of onlookers drives me back to "the shallow end of the pool."

The little cutie with the leading role (Fern?) is such a doll that I know my whole family will give a "thumbs-up" to buying the DVD when it becomes available.

Llama Momma said...

It's funny...people tease boys when they cry and then complain about insensitive men. Hmmm...go figure.

I am thankful to be married to a sensitive guy who was raised in a loving home where it's absolutely fine to have a "good cry" now and then. I pray my boys will follow in their dad's footsteps.

Blubber away, Craver! Be free! (And, by the way, thanks for the book!)