Thursday, December 14, 2006

Spring Blossoms

The branches are barren and cold. I remember the beauty of the blossoms, though. They were real. Last March, seemingly out of nowhere, small buds appeared on those barren branches and became beautiful, delicate blossoms. The shades of pink and white and mauve lulled me into complacency—I’ll take a picture tomorrow, I thought. I’ll sit outside tomorrow, when it’s a little bit warmer, and I’ll take a hundred pictures. And then suddenly the wind came, blowing my picture all to hell. It’s unfair. I put up with this messy tree all year, sweeping squished crabapples up off of the patio and dealing with soggy, slippery flowers trampled into the grass, all so I can enjoy a month of beauty. But this year the beauty only lasted a week, and I feel gypped. Do I trust those brittle branches now, to become grand again? Can I live with the ugly and barren for a season, in order to experience the splendor of spring? Or do I chop spring-hope down because I’m in the middle of winter?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven. Ecc. 3:1

There is beauty in this season of your crabapple tree. Sometimes we have to look, sometimes we have to look REAL hard. Look at those barren branches. How they stretch and reach heavenward. I love trees, in season and out of season. Although I don't believe there is an out of season for the beauty of a tree. Those bare branches give us a glimpse of the foundation that holds all those beautiful blossoms in place during it's "on" season. Without those many foundation branches there would not be such a springtime show. Look at your tree with new eyes. Look at the foundation that holds it together. There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven.