Thursday, October 30, 2008

soup

Souptacular08

I love soup. My family loves soup. So when I saw that BooMama was hosting a Souptacular carnival, I just had to jump in with a favorite recipe. With a family of five, if I want any leftovers, I double this recipe. It's so easy, and so good!

Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
    
INGREDIENTS
• 4 cups chicken broth
• 2 cups water
• 2 cooked, boneless chicken breast halves, shredded (I usually use pre-cooked chicken and just cube it up.)
• 1 (4.5 ounce) package quick cooking long grain and wild rice with seasoning packet
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/4 cup butter
• 2 cups milk


DIRECTIONS

1. In a large pot over medium heat, combine broth, water and chicken. Bring just to boiling, then stir in rice, reserving seasoning packet. Cover and remove from heat.

2. In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper and flour. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in contents of seasoning packet until mixture is bubbly. Reduce heat to low, then stir in flour mixture by tablespoons, to form a roux. Whisk in milk, a little at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth. Cook until thickened, 5 minutes.

3. Stir cream mixture into broth and rice. Cook over medium heat until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.

8 comments:

Courtney said...

I'm a soup lover too. This recipe looks fantastic! I'm trying it soon!

canadacole said...

Sounds delish! Thanks!

Liberty said...

Can't wait to try this one! :)

Anonymous said...

I'd have to say I'm the biggest soup lover in my family, and your recipe has me thumpin' my head wondering why I've never tried a chicke and rice recipe.

Hmmmm, now, since yours sounds so yummy, I've got a perfect one to try!

Thanks!

:)

Trista said...

This sounds great, I even think everyone in my house would eat it!

Come visit my post!

Kelley with Amy's Angels said...

How excited am I about this bloggy day with Boo Mama? I, seriously, have some great meal ideas for the next few weeks.

And your soup? It's right on the list! : )

Anonymous said...

I love wild rice! So much more flavor and texture than plain white rice!

Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

We tried this tonight. I added celery and had to make up my own seasonings as my rice didn't come with any, but it was a bit hit. Thanks!