Monday, December 31, 2007

gearing up

The Llama Papa is getting ready for a trip to Russia. Siberia, to be exact. He’s going with the Slavic Gospel Association to work on this project. Now, you’re probably wondering why my husband would choose to go to Siberia in January. The short answer is that a good friend of his works at SGA, and he’s always wanted to join him on one of his trips.

When we decided to take a self-funded sabbatical and regroup as a family, we sat down and made a list of what we hoped to accomplish during this time off. The list includes household projects like cleaning out our basement and painting our bedroom, along with personal goals and dreams. My list includes things like completing a book proposal, going to Calvin college’s Festival of Faith in Writing, and going on a silent retreat led by Ruth Haley Barton. The Llama Papa’s list includes this trip to Russia, backpacking in Yosemite, and some classes to keep his job skills sharp. When school’s out for the noisy boys, we hope to do some traveling as a family. That’s on the list too.

I’m thrilled to see my husband go on this trip. As a young college student at Urbana, he felt a distinct call to missions. Not to go, but to send. When we began dating seriously, he shared this call with me, as it would affect our life together in a major area––our finances.

All these years he’s been sending, it’s exciting to see him go.

Will you join me in committing to pray for him while he’s away? He’ll be gone January 2 through the 14th. He’ll be helping on the camera crew, taking pictures with his fancy new camera. The trip schedule is grueling, with planes and trains and not much sleep. Please pray for endurance and good health and safe travels. And for God to show up. Pray especially for that.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear more about all of these lovely goals. I'll definitely be praying.

Llama Momma said...

thank you...

Mandy said...

He absolutely has my prayers! What an amazing opportunity!

Ted M. Gossard said...

Very good. Will pray. Blessings on you and yours in this new year and beyond.

mommanator said...

Great time for traveling to Russia! God speed I will send prayers for you & the family as he is gone and for his safe and wonderful journey!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to pray for him every time I turn on the lamp next to my bed. It's easier for me to remember to pray for someone if I attach it to an object. So, every evening whem I turn it on I will pray for your whole family but especially your husband on his trip. God Bless you Llama Momma!

Marmot Mom said...

We will be praying for him and for the four at home :)
What a privilege to serve like this.

Lara said...

Praying for LP! And send along our wishes for a happy birthday to the Twins!

Llama Momma said...

Thank you, all, for praying! I'll try to post an update, if I get one!

(Though we're not sure how *connected* we'll be...between the time difference and inconsistent phone service, we'll see! No news is good news, right?)

L.L. Barkat said...

Oh! I wish I were going on that retreat. Are you? Or is it still just on the list?

23 degrees said...

So cool to witness this season of your lives! It just feels good.

Standing with Llama Papa in prayer while he is in Russia. How exciting. So glad is is able to go!! (Can you believe I was there at Urbana with him in...1985)

And...as one of the many you have helped to send over the years, thank you!

Is his Yosemite trip planned out yet? Is he going with the same folks?

We have to come visit.

Llama Momma said...

LL -- Yes. I am! :-)

23 -- we'd love to see you guys...and the Yosemite trip isn't planned out...not yet. Probably not the same guys. He's thinking about inviting some CA friends to meet him...we'll see how it shapes up!

I didn't realize you were at that Urbana. Very cool!