Saturday, July 12, 2008

University of Iowa

I’ve been doing it for awhile now, I just haven’t mentioned it. Once you mention it, people ask about it. And then, suddenly, it’s a thing of stress. So…shhh. Pretend I didn’t say this out loud: I’ve been writing fiction. (Or trying to write fiction.)

And I like it.

Quite a few months ago I signed up for a week-long fiction writing workshop at the University of Iowa. Up until two weeks ago, I didn’t know if the workshop would be cancelled or not, due to flooding. (It seemed tacky to call during a state of emergency: “Um, hi. Sorry you lost your house and everything, but what about my class?”)



I had to scramble to find a new hotel since the one I had booked is closed until August, but classes are on.

And while I don’t know exactly what I’ll be doing all week, I know what I won’t be doing: laundry, cooking, childcare, driving children around to birthday parties and playdates, keeping a two-year old safe at the swimming pool, sweeping the floor, cleaning the bathroom, or even, not that I actually do this every day, making my bed.

I was going to ask you to pray for me while I’m away, but maybe your prayers should be directed to Llama Papa instead. Have I mentioned here before what a great guy he is? He is. Great.

10 comments:

Mandy said...

Oh wow! How exciting! I'm praying you have safe travels and receive a blessing from this. I'm already a fan of your writing! Hee-hee! Sending up prayers for Llama Papa, too. Thank the Lord for wonderful husbands!

Have FUN!!

Anonymous said...

That's fabulous! I hope you have the grandest of times!

Aren't wonderful husbands wonderful? I get asked a lot how I can handle 5 kids, and I always have to tell them: my husband is an awesome partner.

Again, have a GREAT time!

elaine@bloginmyeye said...

Wonderful. I'll be praying. Enjoy.

megs @ whadusay said...

Have a great time - sounds like lots of fun!

Raising Cains said...

i'm tempted to sign up just for the week off! just kidding. have a great time and yes, we'll be praying of Llama Papa.

Anonymous said...

a writing workshop!!!
does that mean you get to write while you work and shop!

cool.

Anonymous said...

... but you WILL be writing, and that is so beyond wonderful. Prayers and great thoughts are coming your way from the East Coast.

Remember these, my favorite words, by Henry David Thoreau... "Write while the heat is in you."

The heat is on!!

Unknown said...

What great news, Llama! What a great adventure, and how exciting for this opportunity to sow more seeds and beaar more fruit.

I'll keep Llama Papa and the llamettes in my prayers. I'm sure they'll do great, as will you.

Love,
(Not So) Much Afraid

Anonymous said...

Have a great time!!

Sus said...

kudos to you! have fun and just remember all those things you are besides a mom. i find that helps me, anyway. :)