Tuesday, July 8, 2008

enjoy the season

“How long until Christmas?” Twin A. asks while he pours his cereal.

“A long time,” I tell him. “Why do you ask?”

“I can’t wait until winter,” he tells me, “Christmas, my birthday, and what’s nice about winter is you don’t have to mow the lawn.”

“Are you kidding me?” I ask. “It’s summer! We can play outside and go for bike rides and swim all afternoon and take a break from school. Summer is so much fun. Enjoy it, A. Don’t wish it away. Winter will be here soon enough.”

And so I remind myself today as I run after my fun-loving toddler: enjoy this season. Don’t wish it away. Sure, in a few years baby b. be more independent and won’t dump flour all over the kitchen floor or climb up on the bench to reach my cell phone, but he also won’t be cuddled up on my lap humming the “bum, de bum” song while I rock him. Instead of squealing “WADER!” every time we go to the pool, it will be old news. Fun? Yes. But not new and exciting anymore. Same with the zoo. No more “AMINALS! Mama! AMINALS!”

What season are you in? Are you enjoying each moment?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

wonderful reminder :-)

elaine@bloginmyeye said...

Ouch. My old, aching, impatient body has a hard time with this.

Mandy said...

I've definitely caught myself wishing away some seasons that I know well in my heart I will miss terribly. Good reminder for us to stop and be in the moment.

Llama Momma said...

Thanks for stopping by, Nancy.

Elaine -- I know. Mine too. :-)

Mommy Cracked -- I'm right there with you.

Llama Momma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marmot Mom said...

I could use this reminder about once a week. Would you mind calling me?? Right now we're in Chewing-New-Puppy-Two Teenagers-at-Home-we have-absolutely-no money-but-lots-of-free time-Season. Thanks for giving me this great perspective adjustment! --By the way, thinking of Baby B yelling "aminals!" brought back some great memories:)))

Anonymous said...

Awesome reminder you are so right!

Sara said...

I catch myself having to remind my own little brain to enjoy the season. It's hard to do that when your in a circumstance like: Kids screaming in the grocery store while the baby knocks everything off the shelf.... but it's always nice to think of the times you would NEVER want to wish away like the sweet goodnight kisses.

Great Post!