Friday, June 6, 2008

more stories from the pottery studio

“This would make a nice gift for someone,” our instructor encourages. “I’m amazed that this is your first time at the wheel.”

“Thanks,” Twin B. responds. “But I think I’ll keep it for myself.”

All the way home, he beams. “I’m really good at this pottery stuff, Mom.”

“You really are, B. You’re very creative,” I affirm.

“Even better than you,” he continues.

This is true.

Every time I sit down at the wheel, I have a plan. I want to make a mug or a vase, a bowl, and every time, I end up with something else. Something unidentifiable.

Twin B. sits next to me with his wet lump of clay, and lets the wheel turn around and around while he looks at it.

“What are you going to make?” I ask.

“I don’t know yet.”

And then as his hands shape the lump into something, he tells me, “I’m making a mug.”

And he does.

The day after our last class, he presented me with a wrapped package. “For you,” he says, “it’s a be-late birthday present.” He jumps up and down as I take it from him. “Open it!” he beams.

“Oh, B. I love it,” I tell him.

“I know,” he says, “that’s why I wanted to give it to you. Thanks for taking me to pottery class, Mom.”

And as I drink my coffee this morning, I’m reminded of my own imperfections. As a Mom, a friend, a follower of Christ. And yet God manages to smooth it out and make something good come of it all every time.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOLY COW!! Is that the actual mug he made? That's really cool!

(:-)

Llama Momma said...

Yup...amazing, isn't it???

hellolittlepeepers said...

Having made lots of odd things on the wheel, I am thoroughly impressed with his mug. Is he going to take more classes?

Llama Momma said...

emily -- absolutely. I just signed up for four more classes with my other son, Twin A. But I've promised B. that we'll go back frequently for open studio and more classes, if he'd like to.

Lara said...

So very cool. And I am happy for you to have found with B something that he excels at! Perhaps he has the heart of an artist?

Sarah said...

B made that???? Oh, my. Wow. Tell him he's better than me, too.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh what a great mug!

Jennwith2ns said...

Great mug, and great story. Thanks for sharing that.

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! What a creator.

Maybe you should open an Etsy store. I'd buy one! :)

Llama Momma said...

AMM -- it is good to find something he excels at. (And it helps that I love it too!)

Sarah -- Yup. I know.

thanks, kelsey. :-)

Jenn -- thanks for stopping by. When does your book come out?? I check amazon every once and awhile to see if it's shipping yet...

SP -- What's an etsy store?

Christy said...

Beautiful (both the mug and the post).

The Oho Report said...

Great mug,
I like your compliments of B

Llama Momma said...

Thanks, Christy!

Oho -- (Should I call you Oho?) I am generous with compliments when they're deserved. I'm not big into constantly bombarding kids with "Wow! Great job coloring that Elmo picture!" But when they work hard at something, I'm quick to affirm honestly. After all, this is where we get self esteem, isn't it? Working hard? Achieving something we've wanted to do? And I couldn't be prouder of B. Really. I'm thrilled to see him tapping into his creative gifts.

Anonymous said...

It's an online shop kind of like you can have ebay shops. I know several crafty people who have opened them. Just check out Etsy.com.