Monday, June 9, 2008

messes



It started with a cake plate.

We had our small group over for a bbq and I made a lemonade cake and put it on my fancy pedestal cake platter, which is stored on a shelf in the basement. The next day the cake was gone, the plate was clean, but I was too busy to take it downstairs just then. So onto the table it went.

“Mom! Can you get this away from baby b.? He’s ruining it,” added more than a few art projects to the pile. I always mean to put things away, but when naptime rolls around, there’s always something else that urgently needs my attention—dishes on the kitchen counter, laundry to fold, or two big boys who need some quiet time with Mom. And so the mess just sits there, growing a little bit every day.

Now when I look at it, I’m overwhelmed and don’t know where to start.

Kind of like my life. Messes have piled up in the corners of my heart, waiting for life to slow down enough to sort through it all. And now there’s such a huge pile, I don’t know where to start.

Though I suppose it doesn’t really matter where I start. I just need to start.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sometimes feel that way when I weed our back porch. The weeds grow so fast! But when I pull them up and see the mondo grass still growing underneath - I'm reminded that the word of God and my relationship with him is still there, despite the bad stuff I sometimes leave unattended.

Anonymous said...

Oh I totally know what you mean!

Anonymous said...

Always something to work on in our hearts, isn't there? It's so good to know that this is common to us all -- gives me courage to face my yuck.

It was such a delight to visit with you last Thursday. The timing of our time together was so perfect for what the Lord is giving me in my life. Thanks for your encouragement.

Llama Momma said...

SP -- Yes...God is at work in the midst of it all!!

Kelsey -- thanks for stopping by. :-)

Charity -- We all have yuck. And it was so good to be with you last Thursday. You have been on my heart and in my prayers often this past week. Blessings to you...

Anonymous said...

those cake plates are always starting trouble! you have to keep a good eye on em.

Llama Momma said...

Nancy -- I'll make a point of that from now on! ;-)

Bree said...

God has His perfect timing...slowly but surely He shows us the next place, holding our hand, letting us know where He needs to take us, and He'll be with us all the way, knowing through it all, will be so much better! It's the going through that can be not so fun:) Thank you for your encouraging post and visit:) Praying with you!
Bree

Don Mills Diva said...

From cleaning up messes to writing blog posts, starting is always the hardest part!

Halfmom, AKA, Susan said...

beautifully said and very convicting - and my solution from having 4 small ones at home probably is exactly the wrong thing to do with hearts (although probably what I have done frequently over the years)

At the end of the day, right before dadddy came home from work, I took a large box and quickly gathered everything up that was out of place - particularly toys - and put them in the box. the box went into the closet until the next morning when everyone was down for a nap or off to school and then I tackled the box. It worked pretty well for a while - except of course the days that I couldn't get to the box and the box got so full I had to .......

you get the picture

sometimes I think it's the same thing with my heart - boxes hidden away in a closet.

Llama Momma said...

Don mills Diva -- so true!

halfmom -- interesting cleaning strategy! ;-)