Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I scream, you scream...

Today was our last day of school, and we’re living it up over here at the Llama household. Each of the boys invited a friend over to play, and they had a blast playing kickball, having relay races, and making ice cream in ziplock bags.

That’s right.

Ice cream in ziplock bags.

Curious? Here’s the recipe:

Ingredients:

1/2 cup milk or half-and-half
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
6 tablespoons rock salt

Preparation:

Put cream, vanilla and sugar into a pint or quart-sized freezer bag. Seal well.

Fill a large, gallon-sized freezer bag with ice. Add the salt.

Put the smaller bag into the larger bag and seal.

Shake and mix until the ice cream thickens, about 10 minutes. You can also let the kids gently throw the bag back and forth to help mix the ice cream. The bag gets very cold, so you might want to use towels to hold it.

Makes 1 serving.

We are that Family is hosting a carnival of ideas, so click here to read more fun summer boredom busters!

5 comments:

Jane Anne said...

Does this really work?! How fun! My kids are going to think this is really cool.

My WFMW post: WFMW: Summer Soap

Anonymous said...

yes, it works! my 5yr old did this in pre-school the last day of school, and they had a blast with it. i'm waiting a few weeks before i do it at home, can't WAIT to do this with the kids.

Karen said...

Fun! I've done this in my classroom and it really works. :)

April said...

definitely must try this!

Patty Kyrlach said...

We featured ziplock bag ice cream in an issue of Cookies & Milk last summer. Thanks for the reminder--I keep meaning to try it. Um, so what if my kids are grown. Don't judge me! :~)