Wednesday, September 24, 2008

packing lunches

The noisy boys bring a lunch to school every day. Well, every day except Thursday, which is hot lunch day.

But every other day, I pack their lunches. It’s only been a month, so I’m no expert, but I have collected a few lunch packing ideas that seem to be working.

The first one? These thermoses, called “funtainers” are my favorite invention ever. I heat these up with boiling water, then put the hot food in and it stays hot (or at least warm enough) until lunchtime.



A few of our favorite funtainer lunches: mini hot dogs, mini meatballs, macaroni and cheese, and potato soup. The funtainer also keeps things cold, so sometimes I pack vanilla yogurt with a side of granola, or fruit salad.

I’m a planner, so when I plan our dinners for the week I also plan the noisy boys’ lunches. It’s usually pretty simple, but just knowing that Monday is sandwiches, Tuesday is leftover soup, and Wednesday is mac ‘n cheese is helpful.

I spend an hour or so on grocery shopping day prepping food for the lunches: washing and putting grapes in baggies, packing carrots, dividing chips and cookies and crackers into single serve portions, making pudding cups, and so on.

This small investment of time planning and prepping is well worth it during the week when I can pull together yummy lunches in a snap.

Head on over to Rocks in my Dryer for more great tips!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I try sending hot food for lunch time, but when I do they say "We prefer our ham sandwiches". I am so BORED with ham sandwiches - but apart from sometimes adding cheese or chicken, or giving them ham in wraps, that's what they want!

Thanks for visiting my blog :)

Lara said...

I'm impressed! I got a nudge from A Musing Dad about you doing this. Someday I hope to be that organized about lunches.

Great tips!

Llama Momma said...

AMM -- Seriously? You are the most organized person I know in real life. I'm sure you're doing just fine, but glad you found the post helpful!!

Anonymous said...

I have been packing lunches for my kids for years. I have found that anything goes. In those thermoses, why stop at mini hotdogs?? I give them whole hot dogs and send the a bun to put to hot dog in. My kids love left over vege lasagna in there, or even left over buttered noodles. I love sending them a warm meal, better than old cold sandwiches, esp in the winter. They go to a school with no lunch service, so no choice but to pack, and packing for 4 every morning can be quiet fun.....can you say assembly line?
Shoe