Thursday, March 8, 2007

Veggies

Last night, I made this Roasted Vegetable Fettucine, and it was such a hit, and so simple to prepare, I thought I'd pass on the recipe. Thankfully, my kids are great vegetable eaters, but I know this is a real battle for many parents. This recipe is the perfect “veggie hider.” I’m a big fan of roasting vegetables, and though I followed the recipe closely last night, next time I make it I think I’ll try throwing in some different veggies.

Here’s the recipe, taken from Weight Watchers Cook it Quick:

Fettuccini with Roasted Vegetable Sauce
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into ½-inch slices
½ tomato, seeded and chopped
½ onion, chopped
2 tsp olive oil
½ tsp salt
freshly ground pepper, to taste
½ C water
2 T vegetable broth
2 T Neufchatel cheese
6 ounces fettuccine (I used more noodles and still had plenty of sauce—the only person eating a 2-ounce serving in my family is me!)
grated parmesan cheese

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Combine the bell pepper, tomato, onion, oil, salt, pepper, and water in a roasting pan. Roast the vegetables, tossing occasionally, until tender. (15-20 minutes) Transfer to a food processor or blender, add the broth and Neufchatel, and puree.
2. Meanwhile, cook the fettuccine according to package directions. Drain and put in a swerving bowl. Top with the sauce and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the parmesan and serve.

Serves 4.
Per serving: 214 cal, 4 g Fat, 1 g Sat Fat, 3 mg Chol, 123 Mg Sod, 36 g Carb, 2 g Fib, 8 g Prot, 44 mg Calc. (4 points)

4 comments:

Jen said...

Excellent! Thanks for posting this. By the way, I don't have a swerving bowl...could I borrow yours? :) All mine are stationary.

L.L. Barkat said...

sounds delicious... too bad I only have grapefruit, starfruit, and orangekwats in the house (yes, just got back from Florida at 1:00 am last night!)

Llama Momma said...

Jen -- Sure, I've got plenty of swerving bowls. I keep them right next to the swerving platters. (Shaking my head) And to think people PAY me MONEY to edit their work...ay, ay, ay!!


LL -- Great to have you back! Were you at the writer's conference in Florida?

spaghettipie said...

Mmmm, roasted veg. Thanks for sharing - will definitely try it out.