Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Epi pens and intution

I joined the club today. The “Mom’s-who-carry-epi-pens-in-case-their-child-has-a-severe-allergic-reaction” club.

Not as fun as bunko.

Twin B. was hanging out with his grandma and grandpa when he started having an allergic reaction, presumably to a guinea pig they were babysitting.

By the time I got there, his face was red and splotchy, and his eyes were swelling. I started calling our doctor on my cell and threw B. in the van, thinking we’d drive the three minutes home and he’d have some Benadryl and be fine.

But while I was sitting at a stoplight, still waiting for the nurse to call me back, I looked in the rearview mirror and B’s eyes had swollen shut.

Yikes.

And without waiting to hear back from Katie, the nurse at our pediatric office, I knew what she would tell me.

Trust your instincts, mom.

I drove straight to the ER.

They gave him a shot of epi about 30 seconds after our arrival.

He’ll be fine. No doubt some allergy testing is in his future. Along with a few epi pens, just in case.

I’ll be fine, too.

Tomorrow.

5 comments:

Mandy said...

Oh wow...that is super frightening! I'm glad he is ok, but I know it scared you to death!

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness! You probably almost stopped breathing in the midst of it all. Thank goodness he's okay. Are children always so scary???

Llama Momma said...

Thanks, Mommy Cracked! Yes. It did.

Michelle -- pretty much, yeah. To varying degrees, my children regularly freak me out. But they're also becoming these really cool people that I LOVE hanging out with, so it's all good. ;-)

Stacey @ Tree, Root, and Twig said...

Holy moley, what a scare! My 2nd daughter is allergic to nickel and penicillin, and we've had to find out the hard way both times. Way to keep your cool in this situation. Hope all is well!

Unknown said...

Another adventure with the boys. Now he has this really cool survival story to tell all the girls.