Friday, March 26, 2010

spring break survival

I was planning to take the kids to the zoo today to celebrate the Official Beginning of Spring Break, but instead, half of us are on antibiotics for strep throat.

So…on to plan B!

We broke out the miniature marshmallows and toothpicks and did some building. This is a great “all ages” craft that doubles as a snack.





And, of course, the froot loop necklaces. Even though the noisy boys are in second grade, I can still get away with this craft since it’s for the preschooler.







And math worksheets. Lots and lots of math worksheets, which the noisy boys are asking for because during spring break, one neatly completed math worksheet = 10 minutes of media time.



















They can earn up to 2 hours of media per day.




















I realize that sounds like a ton of time, but it goes by in a blink when they sync up their DSi’s and enter the world of Mario.

4 comments:

Lara said...

Very smart! I like your currency. Wondering how that could translate in our household, since media time in a house full of girls is almost as valuable these days.

Llama Momma said...

That's the beauty of the system. They value their DSi time...what do I value? It won't always be math worksheets, but they've made some much progress on their math facts from daily practice, I don't want them to lose momentum over spring break.

But it could be chores, laundry, reading...anything you really want them to do.

(Thankfully, "reading" is a fun thing in our house, so I don't need to bribe anyone to do it!)

Mandy said...

The marshmallows look like so much fun! I think my little guy would like that.

Stacey @ Tree, Root, and Twig said...

Oh, I love the marshmallows and toothpicks! My 2yo would totally dig that, thanks for sharing. :)