Monday, August 3, 2009

blessing

We’ve had quite a bit of excitement around our house. Too much, really. Thankfully, things have settled down. Twin A. is healing just fine, and doing great. (Thank you for praying, friends.)

I’m at one of my favorite writing retreats ever, hosted by The Writing Academy. This community of writers has blessed me in too many ways to count. And it truly is a community—they’ve been meeting together every year for over thirty years. And still they welcome me warmly into their community and put up with all my talk of blogs and twitter and networking.

During open mic night, I timidly read a chapter from the young adult novel I’m working on. (I scanned it carefully to make sure there were no swear words!) I didn’t dare look up, but when I finally did, people were wiping away tears and grinning. The next person got up to read and gestured to me and declared, “This is the future of the Academy!”

No pressure.

The theme this weekend is “Apples of Gold,” taken from Proverbs 25:11. (A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.) As a part of the weekend, we were each given thirty beautiful stamped note cards and asked to write a word of encouragement for each of our fellow WAMS.

I just finished reading mine, and…I’m speechless. Oh, the power that exists in our words. Power to bless or curse. Today, the blessing overwhelms me.

Surround yourself today by people who can speak a word of life into your soul. And through your words, breathe life into the people around you. You will be blessed.

5 comments:

K said...

Oh, I love this "Surround yourself today by people who can speak a word of life into your soul." This is an amazing, powerful quote! I think it will be my new favorite one to say to myself daily. Thank you!

megs @ whadusay said...

I'm so proud of you! I think it would be so hard to read words I'd written aloud to a group of writers. Although from what I have seen of your writing, I'm not at all surprised at their response!

L.L. Barkat said...

The power of words. Yes, very great.

Fiddledeedee said...

AMEN TO THAT SISTER! I am so proud of you, btw!

ChosenRebel said...

The prayers of the saints and the power of Him who holds you will pull you through.