Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Time to read

I pile the stack of books on the counter with a thud and smile at the librarian as I hand her my library card.

“No kids today?” She asks.

“No. Just me.” I say.

“Now, I have to ask you,” she says, in her rich European accent, “you have the three little boys, yes?”

“Yes.” I won’t pass this comment on to the noisy boys, who are ten and would take great offense at being called little.

“My dear,” she asks as she scans Wednesday Wars by Gary Schmidt, “when you do have time to read all of these?”

Good question. When do I have time to read? I mumble something about after the kids go to bed, but I think of it throughout the evening. The simple answer is that I prefer a good book to just about anything on television, but the truth is: I can’t not read. Words are part of who I am. And who I’m becoming.

How do I have time to read?

How do I not have time?

9 comments:

hellolittlepeepers said...

You know my answer to this... I let other things go. Me time is more important than housework.

Llama Momma said...

Yes, yes, yes!

it's just this sinking feeling I have once in awhile, wondering what other mothers are doing at 8:30 at night...I suspect they're mopping the floor and packing lunches for tomorrow...while I'm curled up with a book.

Sues said...

This mama is sitting on her derrière at 8:30 PM with DVR & my laptop. Every.Single.Night. *NEVER EVER EVER EVER* cleaning. My TV = your books. (& I'm OK with that, even though it sounds woefully intellectually inferior. :-P ;-))
Me time over housework ALWAYS!!!

Marmot Mom said...

Good to hear what you are doing, Robyn. Keep turning those pages and using the library--and justsay NO to electronic books!!! (Now, Pinterest? That's a different subject...)

Llama Momma said...

I hate to break it to you, Margot...but I LOVE my kindle. I couldn't handle (most) Chicago winters without it!!!

It's like Jesus and Tivo -- they changed my life!!!

Sara Lucinda Bell said...

I'm a big reader too, and I recently got myself used to the idea that I probably won't read for 18 years after having my first baby... but reading this (and a past post on reading on MoneySavingMom) make me so excited! I can't imagine not reading so thank you for giving me hope again! =D

Unknown said...

NIKOLAUS CRUZ biography

Kevin Towers Biography

Dwyane Wade Biography And Wiki

Hii said...

bill hader
bill hader wiki
bill hader biography
bill hader official website
bill hader family
bill hader family
bill hader age
bill hader height

Dale Morris said...

Norton Antivirus Support phone Number
McAfee technical support phone number
Malwarebytes phone number
Hp printer support windows 10
Canon printer support number usa