Tuesday, November 17, 2009

canned carrots

What possessed me to buy these? I must have had some recipe in mind, but I can’t for the life of me remember what it was. That’s how long these have been sitting on my shelves. Going through the pantry today, I scooted them over to the side—after all, they’ve been there forever. I’m used to seeing them every time I put away groceries. But today I stop and think: why am I keeping these?

I collect things in my heart, too. Grudges, ways of coping, reactions to people. Some of these served a purpose for a time—it’s the way I got by. But now, today, they’re useless. I don’t need them anymore. So why keep them?

It’s time to throw out the carrots.

6 comments:

hellolittlepeepers said...

I hate canned carrots. I only like cooked carrots in a pot roast. I had a friend who was bringing "candied carrots" to Christmas dinner a couple of years ago. Justin likes them so I was like sure, go ahead and bring them. She showed up with two cans of carrots, stuck them in the microwave and threw in some butter. I am now taking carrots off the table indefinitely as a side dish. I have many cans of them though because I feed them to my kids.... Just because I don't like them doesn't mean they can't.

Leslie said...

I collect things in my heart, too. I wish I could be more forgetful in that respect.

Sues said...

You so hit the nail on the head. This was poetry to me...

Anonymous said...

you sure hit the nail on the head. I would like to remember to be grateful for letting go of stuff - like canned carrots (which *I* would *never* buy!!!) suzy

ChosenRebel said...

Seeing life in its simplicities and connections is can be a key ot unburdening the heart. Bravo sister.

katherine said...

*de-lurking*

con.vict.ing.

i was reading along, laughing to myself, thinking about my own carrots in the pantry. i do that, too!

and, then i read the second paragraph. oh, my. i do that, too... etime to de-clutter the carrots in my own heart.

and i hate carrots. why would i keep them around?